Monday, March 22, 2010

Wesley Mania this past weekend...





The following is from my journal dealy i keep, it was done late at night and tends to ramble and all about Davey Richards and my thoughts on him. Bottom line the Evolve show was pretty friggin dope. Not sure how i am writing about all my troubles and turmoil leads to a Davey Wesley Mr. Belvedere kid rant but hey i just steer this husky German kid's brain.

I should think of some positive things, uhhh the Evolve is good. I started watching a bit of the main event with Davey Richards. I wonder if he is still married to Miss Natural or what the hell her name is from Missouri. He just seems so much like a little jerk, who knows maybe he is a good guy with a good sense of humor but he seems a little too Benoit for me. I mean before Benoit did his thing I dug his matches but from what I could see and hear they guy had no personality besides wrestling. Just bland, which when you think about it is so odd. You have a wife and kids and really wrestling was more powerful than them. I am not sure if I have anything in my life that would over rule loved ones or even friends. It is odd thinking of how fake fighting and drama can consume everything, but I guess any hobby could get their claws in the right or wrong minded fella. Somewhere there is a guy obsessing over shuffle board to the point where he ignores everything else. But I wonder if Davey knows about Natural’s past which I guess is somewhat shady. But maybe he just really dug her and thought hell the past is the past and on my first NOAH tour I went to that bath house and got a tug.

So I have a feeling I may nod off a tad tonight and then do the wake up and be up until two or so. The show had a fresh new feel and lo and behold Gabe did it again with Evolve. I actually found myself giving a shit about the roster. The Evolve show has been great as I started to say, it reminds me of one of my favorite days with Tiesel. I want to say it was a Monday holiday but I am not sure. He was working at the Krispy Kreme in a grocery store and had a box of about a million of them. I brought over some wrestling, more in particular the first ROH show. We watched it as a PPV and dug it. I remember a lot of cracks of Bryan Danielson’s tights how they were all white and he looked like the bigger asshole brother in most 80’s movies who does a lot of curls and swings numb nut chucks and drinks a lot of protein shakes.. Granted some of the shoot interview in character segments were a tad cheesy but I have to say at least they are taking a somewhat new approach. It really makes me miss booking and who knows maybe I can still get my foot in the door somewhere or help with the Metro company that is starting. I need to order last year’s Super 8 which I finally got a lead on. I want to watch and review and try and find some good indy stuff.

So to continue on the Davey Wesley Richards issues in a free form way I did watch the main event with him last night and it was ok. Not a blow away and I thought there were several matches that were better. Not everything has to be a long strong style macho dick docking fest. Early going ons included Davey having psycho eyes and yelling come on and harder, wait come on me harder? I do have to say he was more animated then I remember. I often thought of him as a bland create a wrestler with no emotions on his face. I did semi watch his match with Drake Younger in the Peterson Cup and remarked to Tim on the phone (what don’t we all watch TV and discuss with our friends who live far away?) how Richards was doing the sell of checking his teeth with the ref after he got hit by a strike.
I am big enough or husky enough to admit that if someone else would have done that I would have thought it was great selling, IE Dick Murdoch often did a similar act getting miles out of a simple jab. But for some reason I thought I bet this is schtick he does often, well sure enough he did it in the main for Evolve. But he did have a busted lip and there was a little bit of blood so that gave it some weight. It is weird how my brain works because I started thinking about Dynamite and how I guess he often would saw his head off for good color and I thought to the more recent pics of him in his book and how gigged up his forehead looked and I got to thinking does Davey do that? I guess he almost has to if he is falling in the line of the Benoits and such where wrestling is everything to them and that is just part of the job.
I am going to rewatch the match with Drake Younger who I do enjoy for the most part. In the hot days of Facebook I remember him posting about breaking up with a girl who he cared about because he just wanted to wrestle and I imagine the death match look bothered her. Who knows what kind of a cat Drake is, but in that short nano burst in the internet I thought of him as a pretty classy guy. A guy who probably works a day job and is slowly gaining weight and knows Vinny will not come a knocking but still continues to do what he enjoys. I guess he is coming to Evolve which should be interesting, I am sure it has happened but Drake vs. Arik Cannon or Brad Allen could be good.
Ibushi took a beating for sure and did some great stuff. In an odd coincident I happened to randomly watch a DDT show I had on VHS and he was in a match against Ryuji Ito. Ito for some reason I really hate, well not for some reason I can list three off the top of my head:

1. Mortal Combat theme he comes out to. Come on what are we in middle school?
2. The slow motion involved in his kicks. His spin kicks look just slow and awkward and make me think of a guy in black dress socks throwing kicks at his younger cousins trying not to slip and fall on Grandma’s hard wood floor.
3. Those damn jean shorts with the 7th grade art club sharpie doodles of dragons, come on maybe if it was an acid washed jean jacked but they are shorts, buy some gear you look silly.
Ibushi did look pretty good in that match, a little green and I understand the idea of a pecking order and paying your dues I hated to see him do it to Ito. He looked a little more bulked up in this match and I started thinking about his pay for this show. You come to the US and do a really physical match you should get some scratch but I have to wonder with this being a new promotion and all.

One thing I find odd about Davey and the fandom thing is he was trained by Tony Kozina who I enjoy a lot more. He has a more unique look, kind of like a cross between Deniro and Carmichael from Laverne and Shirley but keep in mind he is a mini. One of my complaints about wrestling is most shows especially indies do the head lock drop down spots to start a match. Tim and I watched this old from the 50s black and white match and fuck if those headlocks didn’t look painful. Well Kozina is one of the only guys I have seem slap on a headlock and think fuck that looks all kinds of nasty. Kozina did a show for CSW and it was before I worked for them. But I romanticized the story, he was moving across country and was picking up shows on the way. Imagine that life, out on the road wrestling, meeting new guys eating late at Applebee’s or Old C’s. Believe me the after dinners are some of my fondest memories of my short time in the biz. Oh Eddie Money your song is so true I wanna go back and do it all over again (yeah I hate me now too but you mix about 5 Kamikaze shots from a bottle with Sprite into a tumbler after taking care of 2 sick people and you tell me you don’t get a little memory happy).
Kozina just does not get the love, I think ROH might use him a little here and there but the guy is good. Really early on we had an offer to use Davey and he was billed to us as Kozina’s guy and we said sure, not sure but it didn’t pan out. Years later after I had moved to this poop state they were set to use him but he no showed saying he heard the guy he was wrestling was reckless and hurt somebody. No I am not naming names but that is and was not true. I think he maybe just wanted to stay home and give Ms. Natural the ole’ DH driver. Which I imagine being close to home it would be easy to call in sick and stay home and watch TV with your gal.
But I felt good about actually buying the disc from Evolve and it was money well spent and I can say I will get the second show as well. Davey is gone and I feel like Gaber was getting a little dig in on him by calling him Wesley, and that name always makes me think of the ugly little boy in Mr. Belvedere. Gaber was hurt by Wesley not finishing the dates and responded by leg slap kicking Bob Eucker. So I will order the second show even if I am in a weekly hotel or sleeping in the car and showering at work because sometimes a guy needs a little screen to watch little guys in little pants wrestler in a little building in New Jersey.

No comments: