Friday, May 29, 2009

Another Friday Love and Hate


It is still the 28th for about an hour or so but it is Friday somewhere so a Love and Hate is OK.

Love:
Walking: I am writing this pissed I guess but I do feel a little better after going for a walk and walking the balance beam. Here Walking is what has kept me somewhat sane these past months and hell even before. I have had the pull up your hood and cry walk, the inspired idea generator walk and even the eccentric pickup sticks walk that is either Zen or a smidge of OCD. I have been thinking about keeping this my dirty secret and not because I am doing anything wrong but I do not want to portray myself as someone deep or philosophical. Lately when I go for the walk I will gather sticks as I go. Not just any old stick, I have some weird criteria that I am unsure of but I just know what I want when I see the stick. I have even looked at it walked a few steps and turned around and collected it I imagine I look pretty nuts, a husky fellow in a Cincinnati hat with a handful of stick in this manicured self centered neighborhood. It’s odd as there is some natural beauty here with the marshes but most of the great water ways say no fishing or swimming or private property, what a waste. I guess we just talk about the new Prius and sip wine and look at the water from our over priced town homes rather than jumping ogg the dock trying to catch a football.

So when I get home if I am alone I start or I wait until it is late and I am the only one up I get some pliers to snip with and I arrange the sticks in various patterns and ladders and cabins. I started doing it during commercials but soon was tuned out from the TV all together. Maybe I am just a bigger junior varsity version of a kid, still playing with sticks 30 years later. It totally relaxes me and I am tempted at times to glue pieces into place but fight the urge. And I would probably have to kick my own ass if I tried to make it into sculpture like the shit mobile I saw at the Golden Gate Museum. I worry that someone will wake up and find me sitting on the floor in the living room with my primitive Lincoln Logs. Soon I will be back to the real working world and there will be no more three mile morning walks with sticks, hissing geese and the occasional good idea (maybe I should drop this last part to hate).

Khalil Greene and baseball in general: OK I am a sucker for interesting backgrounds or stories. Kurt Warner is one of those stories, working at a grocery store one year and after that a Super Bowl ring. Warner I can see believing in God. I am sure he wished a better job and more scratch for his family and my God did God pay out. I imagine if there is a God in the bible sense he rewards those guys who never bitch about overtime and reward them like a Ned Flanders. Anyhow, I was watching the Brewers and Cardinals game earlier and was really enjoying it.

I scratched a note down earlier in the season with the name Rasmus to research him after I saw he was on a hitting streak and hit a huge homer a few weeks ago. So Greene comes up and I think Owen Wilson but I guess his fans refer to him as Spoccoli. The announcers were talking about his anxiety and how hard he is on himself. He looked troubled and me of being of the need of transfusion heart really got behind him and wanted him to do well. He committed an error and looked heartbroken but shortly after redeemed himself by almost an exact replay of the grounder hit. So I did a search and read about his trade and how he is a Bahai. Now another admission but when I was around 17 or 18 I researched religion. I wanted to find something to have faith in and believe in. But I am a picky guy, I kind of took an all or nothing approach.

My parents had some friends who were Bahai’ and they said it was about the only religion they could get into. I looked into it and liked some of it but got spooked by some of the people or hell maybe just with the idea of attaching myself to a group in a public setting. Well Kaleel is Bahai and his name translated means friend. I have a tendency when I get into something to research a lot and I think doing that takes away some of that new interest magic. I am going to follow Greene but not to the point where I want to watch his interviews and know every stat. It is a tough call for me because the Cardinals are coming to town this weekend and yes I want the Giants to win in a perfect world Greene would have a good game as well. *Note: While i was driving around this afternoon hunting down Pepsi Throwback and Green Lantern comics for Tim the Cards put Greene on the 15 day disabled list due to anxiety, hope he feels better.***

So it is odd that I have the baseball bug again. I am going to go into it more in my next zine. But I am watching a lot of games and have really gotten into the Giants. The Royals will always be home team but damn if these Giants are not a fun club. They just need some frickin’ bats. The trade is coming up and there are rumor about Matt Cain being part of the trade. I like Cain OK, but he is pretty erratic and at times will walk people in the first inning. I hate to say it but maybe trade Sanchez who is super erratic. I mean he is tough as hell as he took that line drive to the melon but he varies so much from inning to inning. Of course I would like to see the Giants come up with Greene or Rasmus but don’t see that happening. I am speaking from a fantasy league beginner fan with an idea or a hope. Manny is suspended and his replacement Juan Pierre is just killing the ball and does not suck as much in the outfield. In 50 games Manny is back and what do you do with Juan? How about bring him to the Giants and build the offense around him and have a Fuck Manny hat give away at the stadium. There are some fun teams out there and all I am asking for my babies (KC, Giants) is a .500 season.

Chipotle Steak Bowl with extra rice: at least once a week I head over to Industrial Road for this treat. God I am such a pig. Chipotle has the most amazing lime and cilantro rice and I used to always skip the steak and opted with chicken. I feel like I wasted some calories and chins and will now make up for them. Part of what I like about this treat is I usually go to the same location. The manager is a cool guy and he has a great crew of people. There is a big lug of a guy who usually says something nice like “hey it’s good to see you again.” He came over to my table and gave me a free coupon and we chatted and in a way it bummed me out because that was the nicest thing that happened to me that day. It is amazing to see people so nice when you know it has to be annoying with everyone having their own little quirks and amounts when it comes to salsas and cheeses. I have toyed with the idea of applying there but I am not sure if I want to ruin the magic by joining the cast.

Creating Dice Games and my Chipz: On a whim at Target I picked up a package of WWE Chipz which are poker chips with a photo on one side and an autograph on the other. They had chip values so I thought oh these are game pieces. I was surprised reading the insert with the lameness of the games they came up with. Most of them involved throwing the chips or flipping them which really just scratches them to hell so you have to buy more. I put them away and didn’t think much about them but picked up two more sets. The chips are unique and pretty cool. In a way I feel like Michael Keaton’s character in Night Shift, the idea man, feed mayo to tuna fish etc. I had been itching and dying to play Farkle and started to by myself (almost nothing sadder than a jobless chunk butt rolling dice and drinking Coke Zero at 2AM) and decided I could make a game with the Chipz. I have a singles match, a barbwire one (you lose points rolling into the wire) and am working out the kinks for the tag and rumble. It has been fun and I have a lot of pages of notes and notes and I am hoping to type them all out and make a manual. The wee man likes the game and it inspired him to help create a racing game which we made a track for and it is pretty fun. I am trying to figure out a simple baseball game and am almost there. On tonight’s walk I came up with a dice/ card game concept called Hollywood Dipshit. I need to jot down some notes but HD is coming.

Oh and on the Chipz front, I am starting to collect more and more as you need a big roster to randomly draw your player. I winced but winced with joy when I won the all yellow 10 chip of Rey Mysterio from Australia for $11 bucks. I guess there is something sadder than late night Coke Zero dice rolling.

Hate:
Rollercoasters: No I do not mean the real ones. Although I used to get a little nervous on family trips as I was scared of them. No I am talking the rollercoaster of a day and some people’s moods. I am not naming names but if we could even just cut it to 3 drops like the Fire in the Hole ride at Silver Dollar City that would be great. And if someone could actually holler out “Fire in the Hole!” I could scramble and get my shoes and back pack together and scoot.

End of my early retirement: Don’t get me wrong I am thrilled to be rejoining society but I will miss the Sopranos at 9, Married with Children, staying up super late, drawing comics and writing until the wee hours of the morning, wearing baseball caps and shorts and having lunch with Amer. When I am working fries at McDonald’s in my 60s I will look back at these times fondly. Oh hell who am I kidding they won’t trust me on the fries and I will over think it and make to much out of the process. OK who am I kidding me in my 60s?

Not being able to see a Giants game during my time off. I had a day game set and that fell through. I may go this weekend but I liked the idea of sitting in the sun watching a game. Oh well at least I got to see a lot of movies in the morning. But this is supposed to be the hate section. Well I have a lot of hate but want to be more positive. Let’s just say I hate my weight and the fact that ice cream is calling me so late at night.

No comments: